Our first podcast episode for 2021 is with solicitor David Smith where discuss changes coming and take a look at the new legislation which may be coming down the tracks.
Such as the Renters Reform Bill, the new ‘Breathing Space’ legislation and the new Renting Homes (Wales) Bill 2016 – which is already seeing amendments before it has even come into force!
David has a fairly unique viewpoint in the private rented sector. As a practising solicitor, he sees all the problems on the ground with his landlord clients. However, with the lobbying work he has done for the NRLA as their Legal Counsel, he has also had a lot of contact with ministers and so knows a bit more than most about how their minds work and their frequent lack of understanding of the PRS.
But maybe their misconceptions are not always their fault – in our discussion about the courts, David mentioned that the information ministers are receiving is often misleading and does not really represent what is happening on the ground. For example, most courts don’t open their post for about two weeks – so those items don’t even enter the records.
Turning to the legislation, it is clear that there will be a lot going on. Even leaving the coronavirus regulations aside, we will have a plethora of other new rules, only a few of them we got around to discussing.
The message for landlords is that this is going to be a tough year. Regular training is going to be essential if you are to keep up with it all. Otherwise, you risk being left behind.
Listen to the podcast to find out more …
Sign up to the Podcast Mailing List:
- 2021 – A new year new legislation and new problems for landlords January 27, 2021
- Crisis – not just for Christmas December 19, 2020
- Where are we now with the Renters Reform Bill? November 22, 2020
- Dealing with ‘No DSS’ November 3, 2020
- Landlording in the Time of Covid September 29, 2020
- Possession proceedings after the lockdown August 13, 2020
- Discussing Unique Property Reference Numbers with Kate Faulkner July 15, 2020