Our first podcast episode for 2021 is with solicitor David Smith where discuss changes coming and take a look at the new legislation which may be coming down the tracks.
Such as the Renters Reform Bill, the new ‘Breathing Space’ legislation and the new Renting Homes (Wales) Bill 2016 – which is already seeing amendments before it has even come into force!
David has a fairly unique viewpoint in the private rented sector. As a practising solicitor, he sees all the problems on the ground with his landlord clients. However, with the lobbying work he has done for the NRLA as their Legal Counsel, he has also had a lot of contact with ministers and so knows a bit more than most about how their minds work and their frequent lack of understanding of the PRS.
But maybe their misconceptions are not always their fault – in our discussion about the courts, David mentioned that the information ministers are receiving is often misleading and does not really represent what is happening on the ground. For example, most courts don’t open their post for about two weeks – so those items don’t even enter the records.
Turning to the legislation, it is clear that there will be a lot going on. Even leaving the coronavirus regulations aside, we will have a plethora of other new rules, only a few of them we got around to discussing.
The message for landlords is that this is going to be a tough year. Regular training is going to be essential if you are to keep up with it all. Otherwise, you risk being left behind.
Listen to the podcast to find out more …
Sign up to the Podcast Mailing List:
- 22. Looking to housing law developments in 2023 January 10, 2023
- 21. Discussing legal reform in Wales with Simon White October 31, 2022
- 20. Discussing the 2022 Housing White Paper with Kate Faulkner and Julie Ford July 2, 2022
- 19. The Queen’s Speech, helping tenants and mediation with Julie Ford May 23, 2022
- 18. Benefit Issues with Bill Irvine May 5, 2022
- Mostly mediation and redress with Sean Hooker of PRS April 13, 2022
- Looking at Property News with Nigel Lewis January 17, 2022
- Reflecting on 2021 with Ben and Tessa December 12, 2021
- Looking at Lagging Behind October 25, 2021
- Talking about Deposits with Steve Harriott of TDS October 3, 2021